Friday 17 April 2015

Evaluation question 3

The publisher that I would use to publish my magazine would be LPC media, the reason for this is that they are one of the leading media institutions in the UK. They also produce NME which is a magazine my target audience would read. IPC media is a very well known publisher, 26 million adults in the UK read a magazine published by IPC media, so by using them to publish my magazine I will definitely know that they will be doing a good job. As thy therefore are a very successful company that I can rely on. Also because they are such a big and well known company there should be more advertisement options as it should be both made easier and cheaper to advertise with help from such a big media institution.
The kind of distribution methods I would be using would firstly be the most common way of putting physical copies of the magazine in various popular retail shops such as WHSmiths, and Tescos. This is so that i reach all of my target audience as most people who want a magazine still goes straight to the shop, by having it distributed to local shops it makes it convenient for the audience to gain access too and therefore more likely that they’ll buy it as they won’t have to worry about travelling very far for it.
Nowadays big chain supermarkets such as Tesco and Morrisons are becoming the main sellers of magazines and are the first place people now go to buy magazines. Thus is why I would make sure to distribute my magazine to supermarkets to make sure i get the most people viewing and buying my magazine as possible. i would also however have visual copies of my magazine online and use internet distribution, many more magazine companies are now putting their magazines online, so by putting y magazine issues online I would be keeping up with the completion and eliminating the competitiveness. Also it would help attract a younger audience to my magazine as many young people are stereotyped to be spending their time online rather than in magazine shops choosing to purchase a hand held copy, it also allows the customer to have different ways of viewing the product entitling them to the choice and not just making it a set way.
Another reason I chose IPC Media to distribute my magazine is because I feel that they will also be able to help me appeal to my target audience, On their website their is a section on the audiences that they reach and one of the sections is called ‘men and music’ the writing on the page quotes ‘ IPC Media is a leading content provider for today’s man, providing products with multiple contact points to connect with and influence, the 18-34 year old male’ it is this writing that also helped persuade me to choosing IPC Media as my media distribution.
However another distribution company I looked at was MusicMags, they distribute all different types of music magazines and my media product is a music magazine therefore this would be a suitable company to choose, they would benefit from distributing my magazine as they do not produce magazines within my genre therefore distributing my magazine would gain them a new target audience swell as the ones they already have from distributing other magazines, I would benefit fro choosing this company as they sell many magazines and there annual average is 2.5 times the industry standard, therefore distributing more magazines than any other company.
I decided to go with IPC however because they are more well known and are a much bigger magazine producer, they sell large amounts of magazines and have a mass audience therefore allowing my magazine to be accessed from a large audience. Although MusicMags annual average is a substantial amount it does not reach to my target audience and therefore I don’t feel the magazine would benefit as much from this company.

No comments:

Post a Comment