Friday 17 April 2015

Evaluation question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

When I compare my music magazine to the preliminary task, which was my school magazine, there is a big difference in my technical skills. Firstly, my photography skills have shown an improvement, now I know the different functions on the camera, which can change the effect of the photoh. I now consider the surrounding of the photograph and where the light is coming from as this can have a big impact on the quality of the photograph. 

When I took the photograph from the front cover for my school magazine, I didn’t consider the lighting; I only considered the positioning of the model and the background. Although these are both major aspects, without good lighting, the photograph won’t be of a high standard.  Whereas the photograph on the front cover of my music magazine shows a better understanding initially of lighting, positioning, camera angles (Rule of thirds, etc.) and many magazine conventions, such as taking my photographs in a medium-close up so that the reader can see the model clearly. 

After spending a lot of time researching different music magazines to find out what the conventions were, my knowledge of the layout of music magazines certainly improved since creating my preliminary task. Although I looked at different genres, they all showed similar conventions, therefore these are what I focused on when creating my magazine front cover, double page spread, and contents page. 

When I created my school magazine, I hadn’t done much research and used my own knowledge to create the magazine; therefore I didn’t consider the conventions of layout, for example: Rule of Thirds. My front cover is now a lot more sectioned into three separate parts, and although they don’t all contain the same amount of information, they are more appealing on the eye and the page looks a lot neater as a whole.

My contents page is much more structured because of the layout techniques I have used. I have again used rule of three. This technique adds a lot of structure to the page, but still allows the magazine to show a quirky side or something which distinguishes it from its competitors. For my double page spread, from the previous research that I have done, I used some of the same techniques. I particularly like the way that the photograph one half of the double page, splitting the text onto the opposite side.


My knowledge of Photoshop has also improved considerably; I know how to use many of the different elements and features to my advantage, and the use of layering. By having a wider range of knowledge on Photoshop, my music magazine is a lot more technical than my preliminary task, which makes it appear more like a professional music magazine like the ones that I had researched.  

I have also learnt to become more independent in finding out how to do things, for example I looked on YouTube for tutorials before asking my teacher for help and I was able to test out and trial several stages, i was also about to evaluate what worked well and which bits needed changing without having to ask anyone, i was able to judge which bits worked best and which bits didn't. 
have also grown a lot more confident in using software online such as Emaze, I didn't know anything about it however was able to explore and see how i could present my work in a unique way. I have also grown a lot more confident in photoshop, i was able to create photos by cropping out backgrounds and fading out colours whereas in my preliminary task I wasn't confident and just used a simple colour, my skills have also increased dramatically in using Photoshop, I was able to create products that I never thought I would and it was all independent. 
I have also learnt to control by time better, as in the first task I struggled to get everything finished and seemed to be rushing towards the end which I feel let my product down as you could tell it was rushed whereas in this product I have had time to take photos, re take them and still edit them and re-edit them in different ways, I was a lot more relaxed and i feel this is really shown in my work. 


On the left is my preliminary task and the right is the final product of my front cover, you can see how much improvement I have my made, for example my actually product looks a lot more professional and doesn't look rushed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment